Meaning of spar
— n., v., sparred, spar•ring.
- a stout pole such as those used for masts, etc.; a mast, yard, boom, gaff, or the like.
- a principal lateral member of the framework of a wing of an airplane.
- to provide or make with spars.
— v., n. sparred, spar•ring,
- (of boxers) to make the motions of attack and defense with the arms and fists, esp. as a part of training.
- to box, esp. with light blows.
- to strike or attack with the feet or spurs, as gamecocks do.
- to bandy words; dispute.
- a motion of sparring.
- a boxing match.
- a dispute.
- any of various more or less lustrous crystalline minerals: fluorspar.
- (during World War II) a woman enlisted in the women's reserve of the U.S. Coast Guard (disbanded in 1946).
- Spanish Arabic.
- spar (Thesaurus)