Meaning of solemn
Pronunciation: (sol'um), [key]
- grave, sober, or mirthless, as a person, the face, speech, tone, or mood: solemn remarks.
- gravely or somberly impressive; causing serious thoughts or a grave mood: solemn music.
- serious or earnest: solemn assurances.
- characterized by dignified or serious formality, as proceedings; of a formal or ceremonious character: a solemn occasion.
- made in due legal or other express form, as a declaration or agreement: a solemn oath.
- marked or observed with religious rites; having a religious character: a solemn holy day.
- uttered, prescribed, or made according to religious forms: a solemn ban on sacrifice.
- solemn (Thesaurus)