Meaning of snakeroot
Pronunciation: (snāk'rt", -root"), [key]
- any of various plants whose roots have been regarded as a remedy for snakebites, as the herb Aristolochia serpentariahaving a medicinal rhizome and rootlets, and the white-flowered Polygala senegahaving a medicinal root.
- the root or rhizome of such a plant.
- the North American bugbane.
- a white eupatorium, Eupatorium rugosum.
- a plant, Rauwolfia serpentina (or Rauvolfia serpentina), whose roots are the source of reserpine and other drugs.
- snakeroot (Thesaurus)