silence: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sī'luns), [key]
— n., v., interj. -lenced, -lenc•ing,
- absence of any sound or noise; stillness.
- the state or fact of being silent; muteness.
- absence or omission of mention, comment, or expressed concern: the conspicuous silence of our newspapers on local graft.
- the state of being forgotten; oblivion: in the news again after years of silence.
- concealment; secrecy.
- to put or bring to silence; still.
- to put (doubts, fears, etc.) to rest; quiet.
- to still (enemy guns), as by more effective fire.
- be silent! “Silence!” the teacher shouted.
- silence (Thesaurus)