she: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (shē), [key]
— pron., sing. nom. poss. obj. pl. nom. poss. obj. n., pl. she, herorhers, her they, theirortheirs, them shes.
- the female person or animal being discussed or last mentioned; that female.
- the woman: She who listens learns.
- anything considered, as by personification, to be feminine: spring, with all the memories she conjures up.
- a female person or animal.
- an object or device considered as female or feminine.
Pronunciation: (shē'ur-hē', shē'hē'), [key]
- she or he: used as an orthographic device to avoid he when the sex of the antecedent is unknown or irrelevant. Cf.