Meaning of segregate
Pronunciation: (v.seg'ri-gāt"n.seg'ri-git, -gāt"), [key]
— v., n. -gat•ed, -gat•ing,
- to separate or set apart from others or from the main body or group; isolate: to segregate exceptional children; to segregate hardened criminals.
- to require, often with force, the separation of (a specific racial, religious, or other group) from the general body of society.
- to separate, withdraw, or go apart; separate from the main body and collect in one place; become segregated.
- to practice, require, or enforce segregation, esp. racial segregation.
- (of allelic genes) to separate during meiosis.
- a segregated thing, person, or group.
- segregate (Thesaurus)