rust: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rust), [key]
- Also calledthe red or orange coating that forms on the surface of iron when exposed to air and moisture, consisting chiefly of ferric hydroxide and ferric oxide formed by oxidation.
- any film or coating on metal caused by oxidation.
- a stain resembling this coating.
- any growth, habit, influence, or agency tending to injure, deteriorate, or impair the mind, character, abilities, usefulness, etc.
- any of several diseases of plants, characterized by reddish, brownish, or black pustules on the leaves, stems, etc., caused by fungi of the order Uredinales.
- Also calledrust&prim; fun&sec;gus.a fungus causing this disease.
- any of several other diseases of unknown cause, characterized by reddish-brown spots or discolorations on the affected parts.
- reddish yellow, reddish brown, or yellowish red.
- to become or grow rusty, as iron.
- to contract rust.
- to deteriorate or become impaired, as through inaction or disuse.
- to become rust-colored.
- to affect with rust.
- to impair as if with rust.
- to make rust-colored.
- (of metal pipes, machinery, etc.) to decay and become unusable through the action of rust.
- to develop holes, breaks, or the like, because of rust.
- to join two metal pieces, as iron pipes, by causing the joint to rust.
- having the color rust.
- rust (Thesaurus)