Q, q: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ky), [key]
— pl. Q's Qs, q's qs.
- the 17th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
- any spoken sound represented by the letter Q or q, as in quick, acquit, or Iraq.
- something having the shape of a
- a written or printed representation of the letter Q or q.
- a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter Q or q.
- the 17th in order or in a series, or, when I is omitted, the 16th.
- (sometimes l.c.) the medieval Roman numeral for 500. Cf.
- a unit of heat energy, equal to 10 British thermal units (1.055 × 10 joules).
- Also calledthe ratio of the reactance to the resistance of an electric circuit or component.
- the symbol for material common to the Gospels of Matthew and Luke that was not derived from the Gospel of Mark.
- (in Guatemala) quetzal; quetzals.
- quart; quarts.