Meaning of province
Pronunciation: (prov'ins), [key]
- an administrative division or unit of a country.
- the parts of a country outside of the capital or the largest cities.
- (in England) all parts of the country outside of London.
- a country, territory, district, or region.
- a department or branch of learning or activity: the province of mathematics.
- sphere or field of activity or authority, as of a person; office, function, or business: Such decisions do not lie within his province.
- a major subdivision of British India.
- an ecclesiastical territorial division, as that within which an archbishop or a metropolitan exercises jurisdiction.
- any of the North American colonies now forming major administrative divisions of Canada.
- any of certain colonies of Great Britain which are now part of the U.S.
- a country or territory outside of Italy, brought under the ancient Roman dominion and administered by a governor sent from Rome.
- an individual mineral-producing area.
- province (Thesaurus)