pretend: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pri-tend'), [key]
- to cause or attempt to cause (what is not so) to seem so: to pretend illness; to pretend that nothing is wrong.
- to appear falsely, as to deceive; feign: to pretend to go to sleep.
- to make believe: The children pretended to be cowboys.
- to presume; venture: I can't pretend to say what went wrong.
- to allege or profess, esp. insincerely or falsely: He pretended to have no knowledge of her whereabouts.
- to make believe.
- to lay claim to (usually fol. by to): She pretended to the throne.
- to make pretensions (usually fol. by to): He pretends to great knowledge.
- to aspire, as a suitor or candidate (fol. by to).
- make-believe; simulated; counterfeit: pretend diamonds.
- pretend (Thesaurus)