Meaning of precinct
Pronunciation: (prē'singkt), [key]
- a district, as of a city, marked out for governmental or administrative purposes, or for police protection.
- Also calledthe police station in such a district.
- Also calledone of a fixed number of districts, each containing one polling place, into which a city, town, etc., is divided for voting purposes.
- a space or place of definite or understood limits.
- Often,an enclosing boundary or limit.
- the parts or regions immediately surrounding a place; environs: the precincts of a town.
- the ground immediately surrounding a church, temple, or the like.
- a walled or otherwise bounded or limited space within which a building or place is situated.
- precinct (Thesaurus)