Meaning of positive
Pronunciation: (poz'i-tiv), [key]
- explicitly stated, stipulated, or expressed: a positive acceptance of the agreement.
- admitting of no question: positive proof.
- stated; express; emphatic: a positive denial.
- confident in opinion or assertion; fully assured: He is positive that he will win the contest.
- overconfident or dogmatic: The less he knows, the more positive he gets.
- without relation to or comparison with other things; not relative or comparative; absolute.
- downright; out-and-out: She's a positive genius.
- determined by enactment or convention; arbitrarily laid down: positive law.
- emphasizing what is laudable, hopeful, or to the good; constructive: a positive attitude toward the future; positive things to say about a painting.
- not speculative or theoretical; practical: a positive approach to the problem.
- possessing an actual force, being, existence, etc.
- positive philosophy.
- constructive and sure, rather than skeptical.
- concerned with or based on matters of experience:positive philosophy.
- showing or expressing approval or agreement; favorable: a positive reaction to the speech.
- consisting in or characterized by the presence or possession of distinguishing or marked qualities or features (opposed to negative): Light is positive, darkness negative.
- noting the presence of such qualities, as a term.
- measured or proceeding in a direction assumed as beneficial, progressive, or auspicious: a positive upturn in the stock market.
- of, pertaining to, or characterized by positive electricity.
- indicating a point in a circuit that has a higher potential than that of another point, the current flowing from the point of higher potential to the point of lower potential.
- of, pertaining to, or noting the north pole of a magnet.
- (of an element or group) tending to lose electrons and become positively charged; basic.
- being, noting, or pertaining to the initial degree of the comparison of adjectives and adverbs, as the positive form good. Cf.(def. 4),(def. 2).
- (of blood, affected tissue, etc.) showing the presence of disease.
- (of a diagnostic test) indicating disease.
- noting a quantity greater than zero.
- (of government) assuming control or regulation of activities beyond those involved merely with the maintenance of law and order.
- oriented or moving toward the focus of excitation: a positive tropism.
- denoting a print or transparency showing the brightness values as they are in the subject.
- noting or pertaining to a process or machine part having a fixed or certain operation, esp. as the result of elimination of play, free motion, etc.: positive lubrication.
- something positive.
- a positive quality or characteristic.
- a positive quantity or symbol.
- the positive degree.
- a form in the positive, as good or smooth.
- a positive image, as on a print or transparency.
- positive (Thesaurus)