Meaning of population
Pronunciation: (pop"yu-lā'shun), [key]
- the total number of persons inhabiting a country, city, or any district or area.
- the body of inhabitants of a place: The population of the city opposes the addition of fluorides to the drinking water.
- the number or body of inhabitants of a particular race or class in a place: the native population; the working-class population.
- any finite or infinite aggregation of individuals, not necessarily animate, subject to a statistical study.
- the assemblage of a specific type of organism living in a given area.
- all the individuals of one species in a given area.
- the act or process of populating: Population of the interior was hampered by dense jungles.
- population (Thesaurus)