Meaning of philistine
Pronunciation: (fil'u-stēn", -stīn", fi-lis'tin, -tēn), [key]
- (sometimes cap.) a person who is lacking in or hostile or smugly indifferent to cultural values, intellectual pursuits, aesthetic refinement, etc., or is contentedly commonplace in ideas and tastes.
- (cap.) a native or inhabitant of ancient Philistia.
- (sometimes cap.) lacking in or hostile to culture.
- smugly commonplace or conventional.
- (cap.) of or belonging to the ancient Philistines.
- philistine (Thesaurus)