Meaning of pension
Pronunciation: (pen'shun Fr. pän&sylpsyôn' for 3), [key]
— n., pl. v. -sions
- a fixed amount, other than wages, paid at regular intervals to a person or to the person's surviving dependents in consideration of past services, age, merit, poverty, injury or loss sustained, etc.: a retirement pension.
- an allowance, annuity, or subsidy.
- (in France and elsewhere in continental Europe)
- a boardinghouse or small hotel.
- room and board.
- to grant or pay a pension to.
- to cause to retire on a pension (usually fol. by off&hasp;).
- pension (Thesaurus)