Meaning of patrician
Pronunciation: (pu-trish'un), [key]
- a person of noble or high rank; aristocrat.
- a person of very good background, education, and refinement.
- a member of the original senatorial aristocracy in ancient Rome.
- (under the later Roman and Byzantine empires) a title or dignity conferred by the emperor.
- a member of a hereditary ruling class in certain medieval German, Swiss, and Italian free cities.
- of high social rank or noble family; aristocratic.
- befitting or characteristic of persons of very good background, education, and refinement: patrician tastes.
- of or belonging to the patrician families of ancient Rome.
- patrician (Thesaurus)