Meaning of pageant
Pronunciation: (paj'unt), [key]
- an elaborate public spectacle illustrative of the history of a place, institution, or the like, often given in dramatic form or as a procession of colorful floats.
- a costumed procession, masque, allegorical tableau, or the like forming part of public or social festivities.
- a show or exhibition, esp. one consisting of a succession of participants or events: a beauty pageant.
- something comparable to a procession in colorful variety, splendor, or grandeur: the pageant of Renaissance history.
- a pretentious display or show that conceals a lack of real importance or meaning.
- (in medieval times) a platform or stage, usually moving on wheels, on which scenes from mystery plays were presented.
- display or pageantry.
- a stage bearing any kind of spectacle.
- pageant (Thesaurus)