oak: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ōk), [key]
- any tree or shrub belonging to the genus Quercus, of the beech family, bearing the acorn as fruit.
- the hard, durable wood of such a tree, used in making furniture and in construction.
- the leaves of this tree, esp. as worn in a chaplet.
- anything made of the wood of this tree, as an item of furniture, a door, etc.
- (of a university student) to indicate that one is not at home to visitors by closing the outer door of one's lodgings.
- oak (Thesaurus)