Meaning of nominal
Pronunciation: (nom'u-nl), [key]
- being such in name only; so-called; putative: a nominal treaty; the nominal head of the country.
- (of a price, consideration, etc.) named as a mere matter of form, being trifling in comparison with the actual value; minimal.
- of, pertaining to, or constituting a name or names.
- a nominal suffix.
- of, pertaining to, or producing a noun or nouns:a nominal suffix.
- functioning as or like a noun.
- assigned to a person by name: nominal shares of stock.
- containing, bearing, or giving a name or names.
- (of money, income, or the like) measured in an amount rather than in real value: Nominal wages have risen 50 percent, but real wages are down because of inflation.
- performing or achieved within expected, acceptable limits; normal and satisfactory: The mission was nominal throughout.
- done smoothly as expected: The space shot was nominal, proceeding without a hitch.
- a word or group of words functioning as a noun.
- nominal (Thesaurus)