metal: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (met'l), [key]
— n., v., -aled, -al•ing -alled, -al•ling.
- any of a class of elementary substances, as gold, silver, or copper, all of which are crystalline when solid and many of which are characterized by opacity, ductility, conductivity, and a unique luster when freshly fractured.
- such a substance in its pure state, as distinguished from alloys.
- an element yielding positively charged ions in aqueous solutions of its salts.
- an alloy or mixture composed wholly or partly of such substances, as brass.
- an object made of metal.
- formative material; stuff.
- Seetype metal.
- the state of being set in type.
- molten glass in the pot or melting tank.
- to furnish or cover with metal.
- to pave or surface (a road) with broken stone.
- metal (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.