Meaning of love
Pronunciation: (luv), [key]
— n., v., loved, lov•ing.
- a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
- a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
- sexual passion or desire.
- a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
- (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
- a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
- sexual intercourse; copulation.
- (cap.) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
- affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
- strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
- the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
- the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
- a score of zero; nothing.
- a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
- He took care of the poor for love.
- out of affection or liking; for pleasure.
- without compensation; gratuitously:He took care of the poor for love.
- in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise.
- infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love.
- feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one's work.
- to embrace and kiss as lovers.
- to engage in sexual activity.
- dislike; animosity: There was no love lost between the two brothers.
- to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her.
- to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
- to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
- to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
- to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
- to have sexual intercourse with.
- to have love or affection for another person; be in love.
- to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets.
- love (Thesaurus)