lonely: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lōn'lē), [key]
— -li•er, -li•est.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome.
- destitute of sympathetic or friendly companionship, intercourse, support, etc.: a lonely exile.
- lone; solitary; without company; companionless.
- remote from places of human habitation; desolate; unfrequented; bleak: a lonely road.
- standing apart; isolated: a lonely tower.