locust: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lō'kust), [key]
- Also calledany of several grasshoppers of the family Acrididae, having short antennae and commonly migrating in swarms that strip the vegetation from large areas.
- any of various cicadas, as the seventeen-year locust.
- any of several North American trees belonging to the genus Robinia, of the legume family, esp. R. pseudoacacia, having pinnate leaves and clusters of fragrant white flowers.
- the durable wood of this tree.
- any of various other trees, as the carob and the honey locust.
- locust (Thesaurus)