learn: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lrn), [key]
? v., learned learnt, learn•ing.
- to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience: to learn French; to learn to ski.
- to become informed of or acquainted with; ascertain: to learn the truth.
- to memorize: He learned the poem so he could recite it at the dinner.
- to gain (a habit, mannerism, etc.) by experience, exposure to example, or the like; acquire: She learned patience from her father.
- (of a device or machine, esp. a computer) to perform an analogue of human learning with artificial intelligence.
- to instruct in; teach.
- to acquire knowledge or skill: to learn rapidly.
- to become informed (usually fol. by of&hasp;): to learn of an accident.
- learn (Thesaurus)