jackknife: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: ( jak'nīf"), [key]
— n., pl. v., adj. -knives, -knifed, -knif•ing,
- a large pocketknife.
- a dive in which the diver bends in midair to touch the toes, keeping the legs straight, and then straightens out.
- to bend or double over like a jackknife: The prizefighter jackknifed and fell when he was hit in the stomach.
- (of a trailer truck) to have the cab and trailer swivel at the linkage until they form ashape, as the result of an abrupt stop or accident.
- (in diving) to perform a jackknife.
- to move rapidly at an abrupt angle.
- to cause to jackknife: The blow jackknifed the prizefighter.
- to cut with a jackknife.
- resembling a jackknife, as in its shape, function, or manner of opening and folding.
- jackknife (Thesaurus)