interfere: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in"tur-fēr'), [key]
— -fered, -fer•ing.
- to come into opposition, as one thing with another, esp. with the effect of hampering action or procedure (often fol. by with): Constant distractions interfere with work.
- to take part in the affairs of others; meddle (often fol. by with or in): to interfere in another's life.
- (of things) to strike against each other, or one against another, so as to hamper or hinder action; come into physical collision.
- to interpose or intervene for a particular purpose.
- to strike one foot or leg against another in moving, as a horse.
- to obstruct the action of an opposing player in a way barred by the rules.
- Football.to run interference for a teammate carrying the ball.
- to cause interference.
- to clash; come in collision; be in opposition: The claims of two nations may interfere.
- to claim earlier invention when several patent requests for the same invention are being filed.
- to molest sexually.
- interfere (Thesaurus)