Meaning of intaglio
Pronunciation: (in-tal'yō, -täl'-It.ēn-tä'lyô), [key]
— n., pl. v. -tagl•ios, -ta•gli
- incised carving, as opposed to carving in relief.
- ornamentation with a figure or design sunk below the surface.
- a gem, seal, piece of jewelry, or the like, cut with an incised or sunken design.
- an incised or countersunk die.
- a figure or design so produced.
- a process in which a design, text, etc., is engraved into the surface of a plate so that when ink is applied and the excess is wiped off, ink remains in the grooves and is transferred to paper in printing, as in engraving or etching.
- an impression or printing from such a design, engraving, etc.
- to incise or display in intaglio.
- intaglio (Thesaurus)