Meaning of inherit
Pronunciation: (in-her'it), [key]
- to take or receive (property, a right, a title, etc.) by succession or will, as an heir: to inherit the family business.
- to receive as if by succession from predecessors: the problems the new government inherited from its predecessors.
- to receive (a genetic character) by the transmission of hereditary factors.
- to succeed (a person) as heir.
- to receive as one's portion; come into possession of: to inherit his brother's old clothes.
- to take or receive property or the like by virtue of being heir to it.
- to receive qualities, powers, duties, etc., as by inheritance (fol. by from).
- to have succession as heir.
- inherit (Thesaurus)