inequality: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in"i-kwol'i-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- the condition of being unequal; lack of equality; disparity: inequality of size.
- social disparity: inequality between the rich and the poor.
- disparity or relative inadequacy in natural endowments: a startling inequality of intellect, talents, and physical stamina.
- injustice; partiality.
- unevenness, as of surface.
- an instance of unevenness.
- variableness, as of climate.
- any component part of the departure from uniformity in astronomical phenomena, esp. in orbital motion.
- the amount of such a departure.
- a statement that two quantities are unequal, indicated by the symbol &nE;; alternatively, by the symbol &desc; , signifying that the quantity preceding the symbol is less than that following, or by the symbol &whence;, signifying that the quantity preceding the symbol is greater than that following.
- inequality (Thesaurus)