impute: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (im-pyt'), [key]
— -put•ed, -put•ing.
- to attribute or ascribe: The children imputed magical powers to the old woman.
- to attribute or ascribe (something discreditable), as to a person.
- to ascribe to or charge (a person) with an act or quality because of the conduct of another over whom one has control or for whose acts or conduct one is responsible.
- to attribute (righteousness, guilt, etc.) to a person or persons vicariously; ascribe as derived from another.
- to charge (a person) with fault.
- impute (Thesaurus)