important: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (im-pôr'tnt), [key]
- of much or great significance or consequence: an important event in world history.
- mattering much (usually fol. by to): details important to a fair decision.
- entitled to more than ordinary consideration or notice: an important exception.
- prominent or large: He played an important part in national politics.
- of considerable influence or authority, as a person or position: an important scientist.
- having social position or distinction, as a person or family: important guests.
- pompous; pretentious: When speaking, he assumes an important attitude that offends his audience.
- important (Thesaurus)