impale: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (im-pāl'), [key]
— -paled, -pal•ing.
- to fasten, stick, or fix upon a sharpened stake or the like.
- to pierce with a sharpened stake thrust up through the body, as for torture or punishment.
- to fix upon, or pierce through with, anything pointed.
- to make helpless as if pierced through.
- to enclose with or as if with pales or stakes; fence in; hem in.
- to marshal (two coats of arms, as the family arms of a husband and wife) on an escutcheon party per pale.
- (of a coat of arms) to be combined with (another coat of arms) in this way.
- impale (Thesaurus)