Meaning of horseshoe
Pronunciation: (hôrs'sh", hôrsh'-), [key]
— n., v., adj. -shoed, -shoe•ing,
- a-shaped metal plate, plain or with calks, nailed to a horse's hoof to protect it from being injured by hard or rough surfaces.
- something-shaped, as a valley, river bend, or other natural feature: We picnicked in the middle of a horseshoe of trees.
- a game in which horseshoes or other-shaped pieces of metal, plastic, etc., are tossed at an iron stake 30 or 40 ft. (9 or 12 m) away in order to encircle it or to come closer to it than one's opponent.
- to put a horseshoe or horseshoes on.
- having the shape of a horseshoe;-shaped: a horseshoe bend in the river.
- horseshoe (Thesaurus)