honey: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hun'ē), [key]
— n., pl. adj., v., hon•eys, hon•eyed hon•ied, hon•ey•ing.
- a sweet, viscid fluid produced by bees from the nectar collected from flowers, and stored in nests or hives as food.
- this substance as used in cooking or as a spread or sweetener.
- the nectar of flowers.
- any of various similarly sweet, viscid products produced by insects or in other ways.
- something sweet, delicious, or delightful: the honey of flattery.
- a person for whom one feels love or deep affection; sweetheart; darling.
- (sometimes cap.) an affectionate or familiar term of address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., esp. by a male to a female).
- something of esp. high quality, degree of excellence, etc.: That's a honey of a computer.
- of, like, or pertaining to honey; sweet.
- containing honey or flavored or sweetened with honey.
- to talk flatteringly or endearingly to (often fol. by up).
- to sweeten or flavor with or as if with honey.
- to use flattery, endearing terms, etc., in an effort to obtain something (often fol. by up): They always got what they wanted by honeying up to their grandfather.
- honey (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.