Meaning of halcyon
Pronunciation: (hal'sē-un), [key]
- calm; peaceful; tranquil: halcyon weather.
- rich; wealthy; prosperous: halcyon times of peace.
- happy; joyful; carefree: halcyon days of youth.
- of or pertaining to the halcyon or kingfisher.
- a mythical bird, usually identified with the kingfisher, said to breed about the time of the winter solstice in a nest floating on the sea, and to have the power of charming winds and waves into calmness.
- any of various kingfishers, esp. of the genus Halcyon.
- (cap.)Alcyone (def. 2).
- halcyon (Thesaurus)