Gordon: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (gôr'dn), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- (“Chinese Gordon”; “Gordon Pasha”), 1833–85, British general: administrator in China and Egypt.
- real name of Ralph Connor.
- 1751–93, English politician.
- 1784–1860, British statesman, born in Scotland: prime minister 1852–55.
- born 1949, U.S. novelist, short-story writer, and essayist.
- a male given name: from an Old English word meaning “round hill.”