God: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (god), [key]
— n., v., interj. god•ded, god•ding,
- the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
- the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
- (l.c.) one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
- (often l.c.) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
- the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, Love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
- (l.c.) an image of a deity; an idol.
- (l.c.) any deified person or object.
- (often l.c.)
- the upper balcony in a theater.
- the spectators in this part of the balcony.
- (l.c.) to regard or treat as a god; deify; idolize.
- (used to express disappointment, disbelief, weariness, frustration, annoyance, or the like): God, do we have to listen to this nonsense?
- god (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.