genre: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (zhän'ru Fr. zhän'r&supschwa), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -res
- a class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like: the genre of epic poetry; the genre of symphonic music.
- paintings in which scenes of everyday life form the subject matter.
- a realistic style of painting using such subject matter.
- genus; kind; sort; style.
- of or pertaining to genre.
- of or pertaining to a distinctive literary type.
- genre (Thesaurus)