Meaning of fundamental
Pronunciation: (fun"du-men'tl), [key]
- serving as, or being an essential part of, a foundation or basis; basic; underlying: fundamental principles; the fundamental structure.
- of, pertaining to, or affecting the foundation or basis: a fundamental revision.
- being an original or primary source: a fundamental idea.
- (of a chord) having its root as its lowest note.
- a basic principle, rule, law, or the like, that serves as the groundwork of a system; essential part: to master the fundamentals of a trade.
- Also called
- the root of a chord.
- the generator of a series of harmonics.
- the component of lowest frequency in a composite wave.
- fundamental (Thesaurus)