Meaning of foundation
Pronunciation: (foun-dā'shun), [key]
- the basis or groundwork of anything: the moral foundation of both society and religion.
- the natural or prepared ground or base on which some structure rests.
- the lowest division of a building, wall, or the like, usually of masonry and partly or wholly below the surface of the ground.
- the act of founding, setting up, establishing, etc.: a policy in effect since the foundation.
- the state of being founded.
- an institution financed by a donation or legacy to aid research, education, the arts, etc.: the Ford Foundation.
- an endowment for such an institution.
- a cosmetic, as a cream or liquid, used as a base for facial makeup.
- a card of given denomination on which other cards are to be added according to denomination or suit.
- foundation (Thesaurus)