fossil: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fos'ul), [key]
- any remains, impression, or trace of a living thing of a former geologic age, as a skeleton, footprint, etc.
- a markedly outdated or old-fashioned person or thing.
- a linguistic form that is archaic except in certain restricted contexts, as nonce in for the nonce, or that follows a rule or pattern that is no longer productive, as the sentence So be it.
- of the nature of a fossil: fossil insects.
- belonging to a past epoch or discarded system; antiquated: a fossil approach to economics.
- fossil (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.