forfeit: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fôr'fit), [key]
- a fine; penalty.
- an act of forfeiting; forfeiture.
- something to which the right is lost, as for commission of a crime or misdeed, neglect of duty, or violation of a contract.
- an article deposited in a game because of a mistake and redeemable by a fine or penalty.
- a game in which such articles are taken from the players.
- to subject to seizure as a forfeit.
- to lose or become liable to lose, as in consequence of crime, fault, or breach of engagement.
- lost or subject to loss by forfeiture.
- forfeit (Thesaurus)