flying: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (flī'ing), [key]
- making flight or passing through the air; that flies: a flying insect; an unidentified flying object.
- floating, fluttering, waving, hanging, or moving freely in the air: flying banners; flying hair.
- extending through the air.
- moving swiftly.
- made while moving swiftly: a flying leap.
- very hasty or brief; fleeting or transitory: a flying visit; a flying remark.
- designed or organized for swift movement or action.
- fleeing, running away, or taking flight: They pursued the flying enemy.
- (of a sail) having none of its edges fastened to spars or stays.
- the act of moving through the air on wings; flight.
- without being fastened to a yard, stay, or the like: a sail set flying.
- flying (Thesaurus)