finesse: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fi-ness'), [key]
— n., v., -nessed, -ness•ing.
- extreme delicacy or subtlety in action, performance, skill, discrimination, taste, etc.
- skill in handling a difficult or highly sensitive situation; adroit and artful management: exceptional diplomatic finesse.
- a trick, artifice, or stratagem.
- an attempt to win a trick with a card while holding a higher card not in sequence with it, in the hope that the card or cards between will not be played.
- to use finesse or artifice.
- to make a finesse at cards.
- to bring about by finesse or artifice.
- to make a finesse with (a card).
- to force the playing of (a card) by a finesse.
- finesse (Thesaurus)