fever: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fē'vur), [key]
- an abnormal condition of the body, characterized by undue rise in temperature, quickening of the pulse, and disturbance of various body functions.
- an abnormally high body temperature.
- the number of degrees of such a temperature above the normal.
- any of a group of diseases in which high temperature is a prominent symptom: scarlet fever.
- intense nervous excitement: The audience was in a fever of anticipation.
- to affect with or as with fever: The excitement fevered him.
- fever (Thesaurus)