divest: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-vest', dī-), [key]
- to strip of clothing, ornament, etc.: The wind divested the trees of their leaves.
- to strip or deprive (someone or something), esp. of property or rights; dispossess.
- to rid of or free from: He divested himself of all responsibility for the decision.
- to take away or alienate (property, rights, etc.).
- to divest holdings.
- to sell off:to divest holdings.
- to rid of through sale:The corporation divested itself of its subsidiaries.
- divest (Thesaurus)