direction: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-rek'shun, dī'-), [key]
- the act or an instance of directing.
- the line along which anything lies, faces, moves, etc., with reference to the point or region toward which it is directed: The storm moved in a northerly direction.
- the point or region itself: The direction is north.
- a position on a line extending from a specific point toward a point of the compass or toward the nadir or the zenith.
- a line of thought or action or a tendency or inclination: the direction of contemporary thought.
- Usually,instruction or guidance for making, using, etc.: directions for baking a cake.
- order; command.
- management; control; guidance; supervision: a company under good direction.
- a directorate.
- the name and address of the intended recipient as written on a letter, package, etc.
- decisions in a stage or film production as to stage business, speaking of lines, lighting, and general presentation.
- the technique, act, or business of making such decisions, managing and training a cast of actors, etc.
- the technique, act, or business of directing an orchestra, concert, or other musical presentation or group.
- a symbol or phrase that indicates in a score the proper tempo, style of performance, mood, etc.
- a purpose or orientation toward a goal that serves to guide or motivate; focus: He doesn't seem to have any direction in life.
- direction (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.