diffusion: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-fy'zhun), [key]
- act of diffusing; state of being diffused.
- prolixity of speech or writing; discursiveness.
- Also calledmigration.an intermingling of molecules, ions, etc., resulting from random thermal agitation, as in the dispersion of a vapor in air.
- a reflection or refraction of light or other electromagnetic radiation from an irregular surface or an erratic dispersion through a surface; scattering.
- a soft-focus effect resulting from placing a gelatin or silk plate in front of a studio light or a camera lens, or through the use of diffusion filters.
- the spreading of atmospheric constituents or properties by turbulent motion as well as molecular motion of the air.
- the transmission of elements or features of one culture to another.
- diffusion (Thesaurus)