Meaning of Diaspora
Pronunciation: (dī-as'pur-u), [key]
- the scattering of the Jews to countries outside of Palestine after the Babylonian captivity.
- (often l.c.) the body of Jews living in countries outside Palestine or modern Israel.
- such countries collectively: the return of the Jews from the Diaspora.
- (l.c.) any group migration or flight from a country or region; dispersion.
- (l.c.) any group that has been dispersed outside its traditional homeland.
- (l.c.) any religious group living as a minority among people of the prevailing religion.
- Diaspora (Thesaurus)