department: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-pärt'munt), [key]
- a distinct part of anything arranged in divisions; a division of a complex whole or organized system.
- one of the principal branches of a governmental organization: the sanitation department.
- (cap.) one of the principal divisions of the U.S. federal government, headed by a Secretary who is a member of the President's cabinet.
- a division of a business enterprise dealing with a particular area of activity: the personnel department.
- a section of a retail store selling a particular class or kind of goods: the sportswear department.
- one of the sections of a school or college dealing with a particular field of knowledge: the English department.
- one of the large districts into which certain countries, as France, are divided for administrative purposes.
- a division of official business, duties, or functions: judicial departments.
- a sphere or province of activity, knowledge, or responsibility: Paying the bills is not my department.
- (usually cap.)(formerly) a large geographical division of the U.S. or its possessions as divided for military and defense purposes: the Hawaiian Department.
- department (Thesaurus)